Thursday, October 23, 2014

Disney On Ice Presents Frozen

(Photo credit: Feld Entertainment)
All three of my girls (ages 18, 9 and 8) and I attended the opening night of Disney On Ice presents Frozen last night at the Patriot Center! We had never been to a Disney On Ice production and weren't sure exactly what to expect, other than the obvious skating. Mickey Mouse and his best girl Minnie came out to host the show, along with several Disney princesses and their beaus. We were also treated to several other very familiar faces from Toy Story, Finding Nemo and The Lion King! And then came the main event.

We had hoped that the actors would be lip-syncing the songs and dialogue from the movie, and that's exactly what happened. We are HUGE fans of the movie, so we were happy to see that the production followed the movie, with only a few exceptions. The On Ice version is condensed a little, but overall, it was the same beautiful story of love winning in the end. And this story truly is magical on ice

The audience ooh-ed and ah-ed over the costumes, the skating (Kristoff had some especially impressive skills), the lights and special effects and sang along with the beloved songs. "In Summer", Olaf's song, is my personal favourite, but we also thoroughly enjoyed "Do You Want To Build A Snowman", "For The First Time In Forever" and, of course, "Let It Go". And it snowed in the Patriot Center! 

Here are some of our favourite scenes:










If my girls had been younger, there were two scenes that may have been a little frightening to them . . . the wolves and the snow monster. But because my girls are older, they thought these parts were pretty cool. The snow monster, especially, was quite impressive, growing larger and larger before our eyes!

The only negative aspect for us had nothing to do with the show itself. It was the traffic getting onto the George Mason University campus. What a nightmare! And although we left early to try to avoid the congestion, it wasn't early enough. We sat for so long on Braddock Road that we finally took a left at the light on Ox Road and then a right on Mason Pond. Thank goodness we did. We were literally running from the parking lot into the arena, but we were in our seats just before the show started. My oldest daughter noticed people still coming in at 7:40 p.m. Such a shame for them to have missed almost the entire first half. So for anyone going to the Patriot Center, arrive early!!! There are plenty of food vendors and trinkets to look at or purchase while you wait for the show to begin.

I asked my girls to share their favourite part of the night:
18 year old - "My favourite parts were the special effects, like when Anna was frozen and when Olaf had his own personal flurry. I also loved Elsa and Anna's last dance."
9 year old - "I cannot choose just one thing. I liked every little bit of it! I especially liked the snow monster."
8 year old - "I liked Olaf, and I liked Elsa's and Anna's last dance!"

Disney On Ice presents Frozen will be at the Patriot Center through Monday, October 27. More shows have been added, due to high demand! Then the show moves on to the Royal Farms Arena in Baltimore.  

For showtimes or to buy your tickets, go to Disney On Ice. 

Disclaimer: I am a Feld Family Ambassador, and in exchange for my time and efforts in attending shows and reporting my opinion on this website, as well as keeping you advised of the latest discount offers, Feld Entertainment provided me with complimentary tickets to Feld shows and opportunities to attend private Feld pre-show events.  Even though I receive these benefits, I always give an opinion that is 100% mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment