Tuesday, March 1, 2016

God's Heart for Racial Reconciliation in Our Country


You guys, I read this story on The Elijah List last week and cannot stop thinking about it (I'll share the story in a minute). 

I know God's heart is for all people. Every single person ever born or to be born on this planet has incredible, intrinsic value. It was God's idea to create us and it is His love that sustains us. He loves people. We have gotten so far away from His plan and heart when it comes to relationships, in so many ways. Slavery was not His will and plan. Divisiveness in 2016 is not His heart. I could write pages on those issues, but I'm not going to take the time right now, because I want to get to the story. I believe with all my heart that reconciliation is God's heart. Unity and honor and doing life together on equal ground. Those are the things God wants for His precious creation.

My family and I watched the Academy Awards last night. We enjoy movies and although we haven't seen even half of the movies nominated or mentioned last night, we are genuinely interested in the lives of the actors and actresses (and producers, composers, designers, musicians, etc.) in those movies. We don't worship them, but we do care deeply about their lives. We have also followed the controversy surrounding the #OscarsSoWhite issue this year. And while I understand that this is a genuine and important issue, I believe it could've been handled differently. I believe there can be healthy, productive conversations. There can be healthy, fruitful dialogue. The divisiveness is not necessary. It's actually harmful and unhealthy. It only adds fuel to the fire and divides our country even further. 

So, what do these two things have to do with one another? Let's get back to the original reason I'm writing today. I am encouraged, and want you to be encouraged, that God is working. He is weaving us together with people who can bring His Kingdom to this earth and see lives changed. I read this amazing story by Will Ford, as well as this one mentioned in that post. I wept and will probably weep again when I share it with my family. This is Who God is! He is a connector, not a divider. He draws us to Himself, instead of pushing us away. Jesus says "Come." To every single one of us, this is His beautiful, incredible, life-changing invitation.

This is a story we need to read. This is a story we need to tell our children. This is a story we need to share with the world, because this is God's story of providence and reconciliation and purpose and love and answered prayer. Please click on the links and read it. This testimony is going to be a catalyst for even more reconciliation and healing.

I also found a church service where Will Ford and Matt Lockett share this unforgettable story. You can go HERE to watch. 



May we, no matter our skin color or gender or socio-economic status or age or background or experience, join in His Kingdom assignments and see heaven come to earth in a way that we have never seen before. May we all be faithful to press in to our God-ordained purposes and to see those purposes fulfilled for His honor and glory.

Blessings and love. xo

4 comments:

  1. Yes, God's heart is for ALL people and reconciliation. But we must acknowledge that there are deep rooted racial issues that divide us. Until we have honest conversations that acknowledge the hurt and pain, we'll remain divided. God is love. He can heal all of our wounds, if we willingly allow Him to do it. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LaKisha,
      Thank you for your thoughtful comment. I am glad you stopped by. I am all for honest conversations and truly want to be apart of the healing. Let me know what ideas you have. I'd love to collaborate. I believe by seeking God's face and working together, we can see that healing come in our lifetime!
      Blessings,
      Scarlett xo

      Delete
  2. Hi, Scarlett! I loved both stories. This hatred is heart breaking because it continues on into the newer generations. Until there is revival in our country, this type of sin will continue. We are commanded to love one another and until people get serious about loving others, this will never go away. Sadly, I feel it will get worse before it gets better. I pray the Lord continues to keep His hand on our country and that we will see a change in our lifetime. Thank you for sharing with Thankful Thursdays. I hope to see you link up next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lori, thank you for reading and for commenting. I think this is one of the most important topics we can discuss in our country. Our family was brought back to the USA for the purpose of seeing awakening and revival come to our land. We are continuing to pray into this assignment and know that God's heart is for healing and unity. We ask for wisdom and grace to see this come to fruition. It's encouraging to know that others are praying, too. Thanks for the link-up.
      Blessings,
      xo

      Delete